Page: national, alternatives
FEA Recommendations for Successful School Turnaround Efforts
See the FEA statement, "A Research- and Experience-Based Turnaround Process,"
that focuses on flexible local use of elements common to school
improvement, and that Congress should include in ESEA/NCLB
See Ratner and Neill, "Common Elements of Successful Turnarounds: Research and Experience," for analysis and summary of research on successfully improving schools.
A Better Way to Assess Students and Evaluate Schools, By Monty Neill, Published in Education Week Online: June 18, 2010
"Multiple Measures: A Definition and Examples from the U.S. and Other Nations." Includes a 2-page summary, 10 pp of text, and 2 appendices.
- Core recommendations for ESEA/NCLB reauthorization, from the Forum on Educational Accountability, are here.
- The Forum On Educational Accountability has detailed legislative proposals to overhaul NCLB; FairTest chairs The Forum on Educational Accountability
The Forum on Educational Accountability, chaired by FairTest, has
released Empowering Schools and Improving Learning, signed by 85
national education, civil rights, religious, disability, parent and
civic organizations. It calls for a thorough overhaul of NCLB.
The "Joint Organizational Statement on No Child Left Behind" calls
for significant changes to improve federal education policy. The
signatories to the "Joint Organizational Statement on No Child Left
Behind," emphasize the need to shift No Child Left Behind from applying
sanctions for failing to raise test scores to supporting states and
localities and holding them accountable as they work to make the
systemic changes that improve student learning. See the Joint Statement and list of signers.
- October 2008: Forum on Educational Accountability Successful in its Efforts to Improve the Higher Education Act, P.L. 110-315
- The Expert Panel on Assessment recommends overhaul of NCLB testing and accountability provisions.
See the full report: Assessment and Accountability for Improving Schools and Learning: Principles and Recommendations for Federal Law and State and Local Systems, by the Expert Panel on Assessment, convened by the Forum on Educational Accountability.
See the Executive Summary
See the Press Release
- Refocusing Accountability: Using Local Performance Assessments to Enhance Teaching and Learning for Higher Order Skills - paper co-authored by FairTest; with language to amend NCLB law.
- FairTest's Accountability Page.
- See FairTest's response to the Commission on Instructionally Supportive Assessment's report on improving state assessment programs.
- Promoting Sound Assessment - a paper prepared by FairTest for the American Association of School Administrators, published on our website with permission. What Superintendents Can Do to Promote Sound Assessment in Light of NCLB
- Alternative Model for ESEA Accountability
- See this Spring 2002 Examiner story on the assessment models in Maine and Nebraska which use multiple assessments rather than testing to meet the requirements of ESEA
- FairTest Examiner on Alternatives to testing after the passage of the new Federally Mandated Testing Plan
- Public School
- College Admissions
- Fact Sheets
- Act Now
- Other Resources